Finding a good home in the area you want at the price that is affordable to you isn’t easy. There are simply not enough rental properties in the UK, unfortunately, due to a lack of housing stock. Local authorities are normally unable to provide accommodation, unless you meet the priority need criteria. Any applications to them when you are not assessed as priority need, often takes years to be made an offer. (please check your local authority prior making a decision to rent privately).
Private landlords are being asked by Local Authorities to be more supportive in the rental market, but this isn’t easy, particularly when someone is claiming benefits. Changes to the benefit system, i.e. universal credits, housing benefit processes etc, makes it an insecure world for private landlords to accept benefit claimants.
Finding a suitable property for your needs is not easy, your search may put you in a position where you are left with unanswered questions.
- What are letting agency fees
- What letting agencies accept benefits claims
- Do i need a guarantor to rent a property
- What letting agencies accept pets
We have taken our time to create a service where our landlords can feel more assured that we, as a managing agent are equipped with the relevant learning and experience to resolve potential risks to the tenancy. One of the ways we do that is to provide our tenants with an agent who is trained in applying for benefit claims.
Applying for a Home
We are always looking for landlords who will provide us with appropriate properties to rent. There is a huge demand and often tenants spend months trying to find a property that suits their needs. To help you and our landlords Step2 operates an application process that will be added to our system, this application will be looked at every time a new property comes into our management scheme and will be matched to any tenants who have applied.
Our service to you as Tenants:
- Step2 will provide a supportive, open door policy that will enable you to work with us in managing your tenancy.
- Step2 will complete its duty and transfer any bond paid by you into the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.
- Step2 will organise suitable tenancy agreements that will enable clear legal guidelines.
- Step2 will support you to maintain your tenancy, offer advice and assist you if anything puts your tenancy at risk
- Step2 will complete a photographic inventory and condition report prior to tenancy beginning and at end of tenancy.
- Step2 will ensure that landlords are aware of their responsibility in providing you with a home.
- Step 2 will complete regular inspections of the property
- Step2 will ensure that qualified and experienced tradesmen complete repairs.
- Step2 will provide a 24 hour on call service for emergency repairs.
- Step2 will provide a forum that supports you as a tenant to stay in touch with your legal responsibilities, where appropriate we offer support on housing benefit applications
What we need from you as our tenants:
- To share your needs and help us to find you the property you want
- To supply us with evidence of your I.D.
- To supply us with references, when required
- To supply us with proof of employment is required
- To set up appropriate benefit claims if required
- To set up your rent payment and work with us at all times to make sure it is paid
- To tell us when something is wrong so we can assist you in putting it right
- To always report repairs on time
- To be a good neighbour, to be respectful, to live and let live
- To live by your tenancy agreement
- To end your tenancy in a positive way, so you will always feel comfortable in coming back to us if needed
It is our aim to provide homes or business accommodation that enables you to have a positive place in your chosen community. We will always endeavour to work with you and give the best of our service with the aim of minimising any risk of your tenancy not succeeding.